For sometime, I’ve been wanting to enter a Great Cake Soapworks monthly soap challenge, and finally this month I took the plunge. Basically, that means I talked my mom’s ears off and she agreed that I should give it a try.
The Soap Challenge is many things… first, a great soaping community support by both encouraging others and being encouraged. Two, it is a great opportunity to learn a new technique that has been inspired by the soaping community, and of course three, it is an opportunity to potentially win some great prizes.
My goal for this month’s challenge was not to be the winner… I’m still learning and my final soaps are not really close, but mainly to learn a new technique and see what I could change up to put my own spin on it. And now that soaping part is over, I can honestly say that it took all the attempts – 3 – to just sort-of get the technique down… there was no putting my own spin on it!
My first attempt, well, at least is came out of the mold…solid. And, it can stand up on it’s own! My only downfall is that it didn’t really shimmy.
My soap batter became really thick once I started to add the micas and from there it was just downhill. The batter would not pour down that sides of the mold like it needed to so instead of a shimmy, I got a more feather-like look. I also mixed my micas differently then I normally do and my soap turned out with spots and bubbles. Oh well! On to attempt number two!
Let’s not talk about attempt number two. Because although this one was more fluid –and I had high hopes for this one– it’s stayed fluid for days and on day four when I removed it from the mold, it was still fluid and flowed all over the counter. I wasn’t thinking of the camera at the time, so didn’t get a picture. I just knew that I needed to get it cleaned up before mom saw it. 🙂
And, so that leads me to attempt number three!
Number three was fluid, my micas mixed well and I was happy. But, three days later as I removed my soap from the mold, my soap didn’t flow everywhere, but it sure was too soft to do anything with! I went ahead and cut just small slivers from one end just so I could share and will let the rest of it set and try to salvage what I can.
Attempt three has a bit more shimmy to it, but way too soft to do anything with it. The small bars I did cut wouldn’t even stand up on their own 🙁
So, there is my first soap challenge! And although my attempts lean more towards fails, I really enjoyed learning this technique. The more that I use and understand, I think I will be able to eventually grasp the technique and eventually add my own flare to it! One thing I have learned about soaping is you must have patience!
Good luck to all the soapers that are part of this month’s challenge!